By registering and attending SHRM conferences, you consent to the following policies. These policies are strictly enforced, apply to all exhibitors, speakers, vendors, sponsors and attendees, and are without exception.
Code of Conduct
At all SHRM conferences, our goal is to provide a safe and positive event experience and we expect our attendees, exhibitors, speakers, vendors and sponsors to follow this Code of Conduct. Unacceptable Behavior will not be tolerated at any time and may result in immediate removal from the conference, in-person or virtual.
- Expected Behavior
- Be considerate of those with whom you may interact.
- Be collaborative with others.
- Be respectful of others’ viewpoints that may be different from your own.
- Be mindful of your words and actions.
- Unacceptable Behavior
- Offensive or unwanted behavior or language, including, but not limited to, discriminatory behavior or language based on race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, transgender status, age, disability, veteran or marital status, or any other similar categories. Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning speech or actions will not be tolerated.
- Visual harassment, such as displaying sexual or offensive images OR inappropriate language at the course, meeting, or event, including in presentations, slide decks, as backgrounds, or on clothing visible to attendees.
- Intimidation or bullying, either online or in-person.
- Possession of a weapon or something that could be construed as a weapon during the event or on video.
- Photographing, video- or audio-recording of slides, oral, or poster presentations without presenter/author’s permission.
- Possession or mention of illegal substances during the event or on video.
- Sharing your event registration information, including your conference badge, with another person(s).
- Inappropriate disruption of events.
- Real or implied threat of professional or financial damage or harm.
- Violating the rules of the online platform on which the event is held.
- Any other illegal activity not already covered above.
For safety reasons, anyone under the age of 18 is not allowed to register or attend a SHRM conference. Strollers or infant carriers are not permitted at any time. Only registrants are allowed to be present in the Expo, conference sessions, concerts and receptions.
Solicitation cannot take place in the aisles or any other space in the event venue not leased to exhibitors. Sidewalks, parking lots, and surrounding areas of the event venue are property of the event venue, not SHRM. Exhibitor staff, uniformed personnel, or any person representing the marketing or the promotion of the exhibiting company are not allowed to utilize this space for solicitation purposes.
Soliciting is not prohibited in the event app or the virtual platform (chat function in sessions, networking rooms and activities).
Consent for SHRM Photographers
By attending the event, you acknowledge that your image may be captured on video or in photos taken on behalf of SHRM. You further provide SHRM the right to use candid group photos or videos without securing additional permission, provided those images are not accompanied by further personally identifying information. Please note:
- Photos and/or recordings cannot be copied, altered, sold, exhibited, or further distributed without SHRM’s prior written consent.
- Photos and/or recordings are the exclusive property of SHRM.
- Photos and/or recordings may be posted on SHRM’s official social media pages during and after the conference.
In addition, no disruptions due to photography and/or recording shall be allowed, and violators may lose attendance privileges. This includes drones, personal professional photography equipment and applies to attendees, exhibitors, sponsors, speakers and vendors.
You may be asked to participate in interviews, etc. In which case, you will be asked to fill out an additional consent form.
Personal Photography and Social Media
Photography and/or recording (including audio and video) during the SHRM Conference is allowed for personal and private use only. You may not record any live musical performances.
SHRM encourages our attendees, speakers, exhibitors, sponsors and vendors to share their experience at SHRM conferences on social media.
By sharing photos and videos on social media channels, you are consenting that SHRM may reshare, repost and use those photos and videos prior, during, and after the conference.
Media Shared by Presenters
Presenters may share additional media and resources as part of their session or session record. These resources are provided for attendees’ personal use and are not for distribution unless the resource explicitly states that it can be broadly distributed, or written permission is individually granted by the presenter. In either case, proper attribution to the original creator is required.
IMPORTANT: Use and reproduction of the conference logo and/or SHRM’s logo to promote non-SHRM sanctioned products or services is strictly prohibited.
Accessibility and Accommodations
SHRM believes in providing equal opportunity for everyone. We provide standard organizational-wide accommodations and will review ad hoc requests for additional accommodations on a case-by-case basis. Our goal is to work with you to find the right solutions for you to have access. View SHRM’s accessibility policy, here.
If you have additional reasonable accessibility and accommodation requests, please reach out to us using this accommodation form. If you have questions pertaining to accommodations related to the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP tests, please refer to the SHRM Certification Handbook for additional information. When you register for live events, or other certain online events, you will also be prompted to specify additional accommodation needs. Please be as specific as possible.
Reasonable accommodations for SHRM programming may include but are not limited to captions, CART, transcripts, ASL, dietary needs, lactation room access or extended exam times.
Please allow for appropriate lead time for any accommodation request. For example, the following lead times are preferred:
- CART requests at least 5 business days before the program
- ASL Interpretation requests at least 7 calendar days before the start of event
SHRM will also have reserved, preferred seating available for your accessibility needs. For sold out events, those seats may be released 5 minutes before the start of the session. If you have specific seating requirements related to your accommodation, please submit those in advance using the accommodation form.
Certificate of Attendance
A certificate of attendance will be provided for our international attendees and those who require one. Please reach out to the SHRM Customer Experience team to receive your certificate.
In both the in-person and online experience, contact information sharing with other participants (attendees, speakers, exhibitors, sponsors, and vendor representatives) is controlled through a participant’s own preferences and interactions within the event app or virtual platform. Provided you supply your name, title, company, address, company size, department size, and job function (“Participant Registration Data”), the information may be disclosed to the sponsors. The Participant Registration Data does not include fax or phone numbers or email addresses.
Virtually, Participant Registration Data may be captured for exhibitors and sponsors if a participant chooses to share it by engaging in sponsored sessions or booth demos, submitting Participant Registration Data to the exhibitor at the virtual booth, engaging in direct communication with vendor representatives through the platform, scheduling exhibitor meetings, or entering official raffle opportunities, offers and games.
Health and Safety
SHRM will continue to follow the guidance of The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as it relates to COVID-19 and other communicable diseases along with state, local and venue requirements to meet safely.
If you are not feeling well prior to or during a SHRM conference, please contact SHRM’s Customer Experience at [email protected] or call 800.283.7476, option 3 (US Only), +1.703.548.3440, option 3 (Int’l), TTY/TDD +1.703.548.6999 on Weekdays between 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM ET about switching your in-person pass to a virtual pass.
Waiver of Lawsuit/Release of Liability:
COVID-19 WARNING, ASSUMPTION OF RISK, WAIVER OF RISK AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNIFICATION FOR ATTENDING THE 2023 SHRM CONFERENCES.
- WARNING RELATED TO COVID-19 INFECTION
- The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic and is very contagious
- COVID-19 can cause serious and potentially life-threatening illness and even death.
- SHRM has taken and will continue to take all reasonable precautions to prevent against the presence and spread of the disease but cannot and does not guarantee against exposure; and therefore, in choosing to attend SHRM Conferences you acknowledge that you are assuming a risk that you may be exposing yourself to COVID-19 and its potential health risks
- ASSUMPTION OF RISK
- I have read and understand the above warning concerning COVID-19. I acknowledge that attending a SHRM Conference is of value to me and that I accept the risk of being exposed to COVID-19 in order to attend. Therefore, I choose to accept the risk of exposure to COVID-19, and I agree that I am personally responsible for my safety and actions while attending SHRM Conferences.
- WAIVER OF LAWSUIT/ RELEASE OF LIABILITY
- I, for myself, my family, successors, and assigns hereby forever release, waive, discharge, and covenant not to sue SHRM, its board of directors, board members, officers, agents, servants, affiliates, employees, successors, and assigns (collectively the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions, and causes of action whatsoever, directly or indirectly arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including death, that may be sustained by me related to COVID-19 while participating in any activity associated with SHRM Conferences.
- I agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all costs, expenses, damages, claims, lawsuits, judgments, losses, and/or liabilities (including attorney fees) arising either directly or indirectly from or related to any and all claims made by or against any of the Released Parties due to bodily injury, death, loss of use, monetary loss, or any other injury from or related to my attendance at SHRM Conferences specifically related to COVID-19.
Get the latest news and updates on all things SHRM23.