Find A Session
If you think negotiating skills are only for salespeople, think again—every work relationship entails some negotiation. While often linked to sales or business, negotiation actually pervades all aspects of a senior HR professional's work life. You have to negotiate to succeed in all of these situations: trying to increase your company's productivity levels; considering the expansion of product lines (and people); acquiring a competitor or being acquired; leading a team to increase employee engagement; attempting to get the best deal from your new benefits provider; and asking for your own well-deserved promotion. A successful negotiation isn't just about getting what you want at all costs. Rather, it's about engaging in a discussion to listen, learn and understand the other party’s goals and objectives, then finding a win-win scenario in which everyone benefits. This workshop takes the mystery out of negotiation by showing you how to create a step-by-step process whereby that can happen.
- Evaluate the eight critical pre-negotiation success factors from both sides’ perspectives: goals, trade-offs, alternatives, relationships, expected outcomes and consequences, balance of power, and win-win solutions.
- Develop confidence and keep your emotions in check during a negotiation, even if the other side gets personal or nasty.
- Set the stage for success and stay on track when parties start to filibuster.
- Prepare to take the lead with practice negotiations.
- Learn how and when to use five negotiation styles: avoid, accommodate, force, compromise and collaborate.