Wage and Hour Compliance: A DOL Update and Ways to Avoid Overtime Liability Landmines
Monday 06/18/2018 02:00 PM - 03:15 PM
1.25 SHRM PDCs
| Competencies: HR Expertise, Consultation, Critical Evaluation
| Intended Audience: Midlevel
You will learn about the trends you need to understand to better bring your payroll practices into compliance with the FLSA.
It's been over year since the DOL leadership and initiatives have changed to a new course. What can we expect for the coming years from the DOL and Congress on the wage and hour front? What have been the trends in other DOL overtime pay compliance initiatives and overtime cases in the courts? What are the most common mistakes causing overtime pay compliance problems? These will be among the developments and nuances discussed so that you can avoid making inadvertent but expensive wage and hour compliance mistakes. During this session you will:
• Learn the trends in overtime pay enforcement from the new DOL's perspective, the DOL's latest trends in compliance initiatives, and how you must be prepared to also contend with private wage and hour litigation.
• Hear about the latest developments regarding the new or contemplated regulations and legislation dealing with wage and hour issues.
• Learn of the major problems employers otherwise face with respect to misclassifying employees as exempt from overtime pay, and you will be given techniques for analyzing jobs so that employees are properly classified as exempt vs. non-exempt.
• Understand how you become liable for miscounting time for overtime pay calculation purposes, so that you can avoid such practices in your workplaces.
• Learn about the nuances involved in properly calculating the regular rate of pay while paying for overtime, and thereby avoid liability organizations too often innocently incur.