Find A Session
Distinguishing between independent contractors and employees has never been an easy task. And while the consequences for getting it wrong have always been significant, the stakes just got higher. The Federal government has allocated $25 million and 100 new investigators to detect and deter inappropriately classified independent contractors and they project that this effort will raise $7 billion from employers over the next decade. Come refresh your understanding about the rules regarding independent contractor classification, understand the way penalties are calculated and learn some practical how-to's that will help you establish that someone is truly a contractor. This session will:
- Review the various government agency rules regarding independent contractor vs. employee classification.
- Explain of how audits are triggered and how penalties are calculated.
- Review the practices for hiring and managing independent contractors to help ensure compliance.
- Show you how to perform an internal audit to shore up your practices before you get a costly knock on your door.
- Show you how to correct mis-classified individuals.