America’s leading Chief Human Resource Officers share their success stories, struggles, and advice related to some of today’s most talked-about issues. This panel will discuss how HR can:
- Gain a seat at the table.
- Drive business success.
- Help achieve award-winning cultures.
As HR evolves, there are numerous opportunities for you to drive organizational success and achieve high career aspirations. This panel will share insights, tips and practical advice on how you can become an even better strategic leader.
When attending high-profile meetings, your goal is to stand out from the crowd and be seen as a leader. During this interactive session, you will learn to become more confident and enthusiastic to get your ideas noticed during any communication, whether standing or seated. Several volunteers will receive personalized coaching on their delivery style. This session provides a unique opportunity to witness on-the-spot improvement and learn techniques anyone can implement immediately. You will learn how to :
- Make strong connections through enhanced body language.
- Recognize and understand the three factors that influence an audience.
- Implement six key physical skills to project confidence.
- Learn how to look cool under pressure.
The workplace has changed dramatically in the last few years. The most common way of coping is by trying to manage our time better and becoming more organized. It is possible to make a personal breakthrough that will enable you to become far more productive in your professional life AND your home life as well as greatly reduce the stress you feel. The way to accomplish this is by radically changing the way you think. We have all been told to “look on the bright side” and to “see that the glass is half full instead of half empty” but the vast majority of us are dismally poor at changing our thinking. The reason we think the way we do is because we have very strong mental models that have been ingrained into us in a lifetime of conditioning. Most of the time we do not even know that we have mental models. The models we use are frequently interlinked and we are not aware of these connections. This session will show you – experientially – how mental models are holding you captive. You will learn:
- How to identify these mental models.
- How to make small changes that will have a huge impact on your life.
As you make small changes in multiple mental models you hold, you become a different person and experience the world in a distinctly novel and better way.
This session will show you how to build relationships of trust and influence with senior leaders. You will learn how to identify situations when you need to coach upward, and how to deliver that coaching effectively. This session will show you how to:
· Identify when coaching upward must be done, should be done, and could be done.
· Gain a clearer understanding of what “politics” really means and how to interact in a “political” environment.
· Build a strong relationship of trust and influence with senior leaders.
Not only do problem employees perform poorly, they make it tough for everyone else to do their jobs, too. The infection can spread quickly and those who discharge the poisonous toxin are masquerading as managers, supervisors and co-workers. The venom they eject produces by-products of bad attitudes, including resistance to change and personality conflicts. They cost plenty in terms of productivity and morale and make life tough for everyone. They delight in getting your goat! This session will help you:
· Learn why people have bad attitudes and explore ways to head off conflict and confront people about their bad attitudes.
· Discover win-win solutions that will have you and your colleagues working more effectively together.
Workflow management requires a mastery of email handling, planning, scheduling, project, time, and task management, prioritization, and organization. Workflow is the “secret sauce” that separates ordinary performers from the extraordinary. Having these skills will set you apart from the rest, and your team will function at optimal levels with everyone using the same system. This method is bulletproof. Nothing falls through the cracks. Deadlines aren’t missed. Pending items are always resolved. Loops are closed. Inboxes are empty, and multiple to-do lists are integrated into a single, consolidated system. You’ll sleep well at night, knowing that everything is under control, and you’re on top of everything. This session will show you how to:
- Process your email quickly and track pending items, tasks owed by others, and “waiting for” information.
- Get your text, emails, Facebook messages, ideas, to-do lists, sticky notes, and meeting notes all into one place.
- Combine multiple to-do lists into one central, consolidated list, where you can make the best choice in the moment on the best use of your time.
- Create an organized time management system to help you capture, organize, reference, and execute your highest priorities.
- Conduct daily, weekly, and monthly planning periods to stay on top of projects and tasks coming down the pike.
Accomplishing the goals and objectives of any organization requires more than just smart employees who work hard. It requires savvy employees who know how to forge alliances and avoid animosities in order to be effective. During this session you will identify which of the rules of “positive politics” you are most likely to violate as well as obtain guidelines for being smart about your conduct, your business communication, your relationships with co-workers and your relationship with your supervisor. You will learn how to:
- Recognize who really holds power and has influence,
- Tap into the power structure within any organization.
- Network effectively inside and outside your organization.
Effectively managing our time is essential for success. Rather than spending each day in a frenzy of activity reacting to crisis after crisis, learn skillful strategies to get more done. This session will help you:
- Create a clearly written plan and prioritize goals, focusing on the most important, highest value tasks.
- Minimize the frequency and duration of unexpected interruptions, allowing you to better control your time and frustration.
- Apply strategies to overcome the stress-inducing habit of procrastination.
- Enhance personal productivity with an organized work-space, a well-managed email inbox and by honoring your daily calendar.
- Get more done by learning how to say “no” when necessary, efficiently managing meetings, and choosing to delegate effectively and empowering others with authority and responsibility.
Everyone has their own priorities and deadlines, however, you've also got your own projects and getting them successfully implemented typically requires assistance from employees who don't work for you. This is where your powers of influence and persuasion can help! Being able to influence people through communication, engagement, persuasion and relationship-building is an essential skill all HR professionals should master. This session will review a tried-and-true blueprint for mobilizing your co-workers and engaging them to rally around your priorities! You will learn how to:
- Effectively communicate the “why” of the project.
- Inspire others to share your vision.
- Recognize resistance to change and how to overcome it.
- Adapt your communication style to the person you're influencing.
- Upgrade your active listening skills and body language.
- Go beyond logic and appeal to emotions .
- Use “constructive persuasion” to change viewpoints.
You will discover your natural representational system (how you absorb and retain information), how memories are formed, and how to use this insight to communicate with people individually and in groups in powerful ways that will make sure that messages are understood and remembered. Learn how to instantly adapt the words you are using to speak in the personal mental and emotional language that is easiest and most natural for each person you meet. By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Get better results from every interaction by instantly identifying and adapting to the natural representational system of each person.
- Create support for your ideas and programs by delivering powerful presentations that will speak directly to each person in the audience.
- Build rapport by using words that deliver your message in a way that lets the listener know that you understand them.
- Smooth and improve business and personal relationships by using the word patterns preferred by your listener.
- Understand your own natural representational system and use it to your advantage.
You dedicate time and effort to promoting personal development of employees but don't invest enough time in yourself. This session will teach you to how build and enhance your personal brand to position your value in multiple scenarios. Through self-examination and challenging exercises, you will learn how to leverage who you are, what you know, and who you know. This session will help you:
- Develop the tools, tenacity, and motivation to unlock your potential.
- Build a reputation of professionalism and competence.
- Strategically identify advocates with your company and industry and make yourself relevant and valuable to these individuals.
- Understand how to leverage knowledge, experience, and relationships.
The transition from individual contributor to team lead is difficult. In fact, a CareerBuilders.com survey report found 26% of managers felt they weren't ready to become a leader when they started managing others and 58% said they didn't receive any management training. New managers are learning to deal with their team's interpersonal dynamics while still managing performance demands on the group. This session will explore the fundamentals of a high-performance environment, the basic activities that create empowerment, accountability and trust for new managers and for those they influence. You will learn:
- A process that creates focus and significantly enhances the use of knowledge, skills and talents by your employees; tools that will help new managers tap into their team's potential.
- How to create an environment of accountability that will produce predictable and sustainable results in individuals, teams and the organization.
- How to increase focused attention on team goals and objectives using a simple, repeatable process that can be applied across an entire organization.
Effective communication as a female leader in the workplace is no longer a beneficial skill, it's an essential one. You will learn how to both demonstrate and demand respect, regardless of your audience. This session will help you understand how and when it pays to be assertive, and what that looks like. You will also uncover key techniques that will enable you to engage in powerful conversations across different personalities, cultures, and generations. This session will help you:
- Gain valuable insights into your own communication habits, as well as how to leverage an understanding of all other communication styles.
- Learn how to craft your communications according to your audience and desired outcomes.
- Discover the common ground between your personality and the many different personalities of your co-workers.
- Explore the key active listening techniques that will positively impact your business communications.
- Understand the differences between passive, assertive, and aggressive communication, and when to utilize each one.
This session will provide you with strategies to help you re-think and re-frame your current HR role so that you can have more influence, impact, and career growth. This session will review approaches that are both research-based and practical, regardless of the size of your organization. You will:
- Gain insight on what you perceive to be your current HR role, and how that affects your influence and impact.
- Learn how to evaluate your current transactional and administrative activities and determine how to simplify, redesign, outsource, or change these activities to free you up to do more impactful work.
This session will share perspectives and practical strategies to help you become strategic partners, administrative experts and employee champions. Through personal antidotes and useful tools, you will learn how to meet and defeat the challenges at work as well as what it takes to perform better and more consistently. This session will demonstrate what it takes to be a difference maker and accentuate human capital. During this sesssion you will:
· Get an inspiring look at how to be driven by purpose, passion and pride to enhance your employee engagement.
· Understand the leadership knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to have people follow your vision.
· Learn how to improve communication, improve performance, and create a more revitalizing work environment .
· To find your “leadership voice” that will influence the people and motivate them to be more productive.
Women are told to “Lean In” and put on their bossypants to achieve success in the working world. Studies show that cultural perceptions associate men with leadership qualities and women with nurturing qualities putting women in a tough spot when it comes time to command a room and wow a crowd. This session will break down the critical components of professionalism and detail how you can create a positive impression, walk the line between too formal and too casual, and instill confidence in any audience. This session will show you how to:
· Make an action plan to master the finer points of business etiquette to wow right from the start.
· Navigate routine business situations such as networking events, presentations, and meetings successfully.
· Enhance your professional image through dress, appearance, interactions, social media, and communications.
· Build an executive rapport and trust with both internal and external teams.
Have you ever asked yourself why certification matters in HR? Do you wonder what the value of certification is for HR professionals? This session will provide you with relevant research regarding certification across all professions. This session will discuss the research that led to the development of the SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge and will provide compelling logic as to why you should want to become certified. If you have questions about the SHRM certifications, are wondering whether to become certified, or would like to connect with other HR professionals in the area, this session is for you.
It's one thing to come up with a great idea, but it's another thing to pitch and sell that idea. Often, brilliant HR professionals with solid business recommendations are shot down or ignored. Rejection from executives and teammates has little to do with an idea and a great deal to do with the manner in which the solution is presented. You will learn how to sell their ideas effectively with confidence and poise. This session will help you:
- Understand how to impact decisions by using the six principles of influence.
- Learn to win over a client or colleague early on so that everyone feels ownership in a new idea.
- Learn to deliver ideas that don't lose sight of the strategic message.
- Perfect communication techniques to enhance negotiations.
- Gain the ability to close conversations with power and persuasion.
There are three things you do not talk about in the workplace: race, religion and politics. Why do we not talk about the very essence of who people are? Why do we tell people we have an inclusive workforce BUT don't talk about three of the most important aspects of your being at work? The answer is simple; we don't know how to have these conversations. This session will dig deep into how to talk about taboo topics in the workplace. You will experience the discomfort, the conversation and the mending of the topic in real time. Get ready for a bumpy but fun ride as we learn to do what you are supposed to do— help people become comfortable with their discomfort. This session will help you:
- Understand how not having taboo conversations negatively impact the workforce.
- Encourage and manage tough diversity conversations.
Are you leadership fit? Being leadership fit is about operating at your personal best. It is about continuous improvement and it can mean the difference between being a great leader with great results on one hand or mediocrity or worse on the other. But with all that you have going on, how can you develop yourself effectively and have the greatest impact on the business and those you lead? This sessionwill introduce you to proven low cost and high impact strategies to help you operate at your peak leadership performance. You will walk out with a specific set of activities to help you elevate your leadership. This session will help you:
- Decide which leadership development activities will give you the best results.
- Learn techniques to build strong self-awareness.
- Understand and utilize a leadership fitness plan template to help personalize your development.
- Understand practices to ensure a strong foundation of leadership capability.
- Learn best ways to reinforce leadership agility.
Get out of your comfort zone and embrace change! You will learn how to reecognize the importance of encouraging others without expectation and will discover tools to support you in setting and achieving the big goals of your life. The following seven strategies are ones you can implement today for transformation tomorrow:
- Be Honest:The truth truly sets you free.
- Be Open:You might be surprised and grateful for what comes in when we open ourselves up.
- Be Healthy: It is never selfish to take care of ourselves, your health is one thing we can't replace.
- Be Flexible:Change is inevitable, How you deal with it is the question.
- Be Gentle:Be patient with yourself and others, life is full of challenges.
- Be Couragous: Take on the big stuff, stand up for yourself and be ready to take risks!
- Be Authentic:If you are not true to yourself, your story & your message who will be? Be proud of who you are.
When it comes to a touchy topic with a boss, employee or colleague, many find themselves at a loss for words. This session will address pressing questions about what to say and how to say it and cover workplace conversations you most dread. You will learn how to:
- Approach, not avoid, difficult conversations.
- Communicate with employees during difficult performance reviews, investigations or terminations.
- Hold your ground in the face of opposition.
- Creatively problem solve with your opponents.
- Achieve the results you need to make your work easier and more productive.
Leaders juggle an unprecedented number of priorities. Productivity and performance. Costs. Employee engagement. Scarce resources. Retention. Yet, research suggests that if leaders can address one key priority particularly well, the rest follow. That “meta-priority” is career development. Study after study links career development to employee satisfaction, engagement, retention, productivity, and even revenue and profitability. Getting career development right should be primary for leaders because of its ability to fuel all other priorities, enable the flexibility and agility required to respond to the wild world of work, and support what matters most to the organization. This session will help you:
- Gain the latest information research on how careers/career development is changing.
- Learn seven critical mindsets important to building a development culture.
- Understand the opportunities available in organizations other than the traditional vertical move.
- Gain insight to the way one practice career development as a regular daily activity.
- Consider the enterprise need for developing talent at all levels.
Organizations spend thousands of dollars on learning and development programs. But what's the point of investing lots of money if participants aren't able to pay attention? Recent scientific research shows that our ability to focus is declining at an alarming rate. In our 24x7, highly distracted, information overloaded work environments the ability to focus and maintain attention has become a critical determinant of business success. Mindfulness holds the key to better attention and performance outcomes. This session will provide you with:
- Practical information regarding the neuroscience of focus and the nature of our attention.
- Applied information on brain biases and the science of motivation.
- Practical tools and techniques to integrate mindfulness into daily work-life.
- A basic mindfulness training session with specific workplace application.
From greater employee engagement to earning a better paycheck, leaders who embrace levity not only enrich the lives of their direct reports but reap personal rewards as well. This session will reveal how tapping your “lighter side” brings tangible, positive results. Learn what constitutes compelling workplace levity—Latitude, Attitude and Gratitude— how to discover your own sense of humor, and how great places use levity to attract talent. This session will help you:
- Understand the relevance of appropriate workplace levity and its relationship to employee recruiting, onboarding, retention, satisfaction and engagement.
- Learn what other organizations are doing to incorporate levity into their culture and its effects.
- Learn practical methods to lighten up at work, especially as an HR practitioner (interviews, training, recruiting, etc).
- Set one specific, executable “Levity” goal to take back to work and accomplish.
Stuck in neutral. That's how many employees around the world would describe their career. In fact, according to Willis Tower's Watson's Global Workforce Study, 41% of employees say they must join another firm in order to grow their careers. Overall employees tell us that career development ranks among the top reasons why they would join or leave an organization. Best in class global organization are increasing their investments in career development and redefining career growth. In these organizations, career growth is about building a diverse portfolio of experiences that keep employees skills set relevant to the organization and providing tools to both managers and employees to enable more effective career development. This session will showcase World Bank's approach to building a robust strategy for career development. You will learn:
- What you need to understand and consider when building your career development approach and strategy.
- The successes and challenges World Bank faced when developing and implementing their career strategy, career paths and supporting tools for career development.
Everyone approaches conflict differently but usually in the way that makes them feel most comfortable. As a professional who deals with difficult situations each and every day, you're expected to assess each conflict on an individual basis while resisting the innate urge to drift into your personal comfort zone. This session will help you:
- Understand common causes of workplace conflict, how to prevent it from arising, and apply recognized resolution methods-leading to faster and more effective outcomes.
- Gain clarity, achieve buy-in, and make decisions in a way that cultivate support when faced with opposing opinions.
- Decrease defensiveness by preventing and/or better controlling negative emotional reactions from occurring.
- Enhance productivity and morale by fostering an environment that encourages differing points of view and enhanced personal accountability.
- Resolve conflicts more collaboratively and effectively, allowing for healthier, stronger and deeper relationships-with individuals both within and outside the organization.
This session will evaluate diversity, career development, and talent advancement plus the mission-critical relationship between developing a diverse pipeline of ready-now leaders and finding advocates to move employees along the career continuum. Can you move from talent acquisition to becoming a talent advocate? Can you challenge the existing paradigm about how leadership potential is defined? We know the next generation of high-potentials will not accept the same fate as Boomers. So how do we shift our thinking and change the leadership paradigm? You will learn:
- A new perspective on retaining talented individuals and breaking the stereotypical outdated “leadership attributes” cycle.
- How to develop results-driven, data evaluation of approaches to leadership development with specific emphasis on the leadership gap for women.
- How to create engaged career milestones that all employees can utilize as they attempt to navigate their career path and seek advancement opportunities.
- How to evaluate leadership development as a competency instead of a strategy and connect it to Corporate Social Responsibility.
- How talented individuals are put into the leadership development pipeline and how we manage them along the leadership path. What guidance do we offer? Is mentorship necessary? Is diversity considered? Are their champions willing to help women lead?
Do you have the skills it takes to push your agenda forward? Are there constituencies you need to influence that you have no direct authority over? Influencing others has become a critical skill as organizations have become flatter and needs have become greater. Whether this takes the form of becoming a trusted advisor to key decision makers or navigating the complexity of internal politics, no leader can succeed in the new economy without this vital skill. This session will discuss what effective influencers know and do to not only position their ideas but also themselves for success.
Your success hinges on your ability to effectively communicate. From delivering critical information to stakeholders and providing constructive feedback to employees, to facilitating knowledge transfer and crafting clear messages, communication skills are critical for every leader. You will learn to captivate, engage, and influence behaviors and reactions to achieve desired. This session will show you:
- The secret technique global leaders and professional performers have used for centuries to deliver clear, effective and persuasive communication.
- How to influence behavior and achieve desired outcomes by first understanding your audience's perspective.
- The power of aligning your voice and body language to clearly communicate your messages.
- A universal, three-step process for influential communication to help improve how you deliver feedback, lead efficient meetings and/or deliver critical information.