Workplace stress is costing businesses over $300 billions dollars and is leading to absenteeism, turnover and increased healthcare costs. Mindfulness is being employed by companies such as Google, General Mills, Aetna, Novartis, Citi and many others because the research is showing it can reduce stress, anxiety, depression and can improve focus, productivity, emotional intelligence and enhance employee happiness. This session will provide:
- Scientific research on mindfulness and the companies that are currently using it.
- The importance of developing and maintaining positive workplace relationships and how positive social connections at work can enhance cooperation and productivity.
- The importance of disconnecting from our devices to ensure a good night's sleep and how a lack of proper sleep can impact our mood and work performance.
- Strategieson how to recognize negative thought patterns that can distract the mind from the tasks at hand and learn techniques to let go of such thoughts, get back in the present moment and refocus.
- An understanding of the value of mindful and compassionate communication which is vital for workplace cooperation.
Stories connect people in ways that facts and figures cannot, and every leader has a story. It is a collection of events, perspectives, and behaviors that represent who you are as a leader, and it impacts the strength of your relationships as well as your leadership effectiveness. However, you are not the only author of your leadership story. It lives in the hearts, minds, and observations of others. In this interactive and practical session, you will learn five keys to help you understand your story, become the primary author of it and ultimately become a more effective leader. By learning the five elements linking leadership stories to organizational success you'll walk away with the ability to cement your position as a proven leader and drive better results for your team and those around you. This session will help you:
- Learn how to build your personal mission statement.
- Learn techniques to increase your leadership self awareness.
- Identify key relationships at work and learn how to build more champions of your leadership story.
- Understand how to create a work environment that enables individuals and teams to be at their best.
- Learn how to use your story to energize, inspire, and motivate others.
What if you were never discouraged again? What if fear no longer had a hold on your life? What if you were able to bounce back in seconds rather than hours from a major setback? Indomitable is an inspirational adventure where you'll learn the art and science of resilience. With inspiring stories from around the world this session will teach you how to create a resilient life. You will:
- Learn the seven shifts to building extraordinary resilience.
- Tap into the power of an accurate identity.
- Discover the warning signs of burnout and know which strategies to employ to fix it.
- Receive a framework to help you bounce back quickly from setbacks.
Our brains are not perfect. Some of the qualities that help us succeed can get in our way because efficiency and speed often come at the cost of accuracy. Unknowingly, we take mental shortcuts that often lead us to make inaccurate assessments of situations and people. Add stress and a whole different array of short cuts and trade-offs emerge. This is the world of unconscious bias. During this session, you will:
- Explore bias as a core human thought tendency driven by biological limitations within our brains colliding with the need to make decisions quickly in an increasingly complex business environment.
- Identify the different types of tactical bias that compromise effective decision making at both individual and group levels.
- Discuss how the brain uses implicit bias (bias about personal characteristics) in an attempt to protect itself.
- Learn and practice techniques for recognizing and interrupting both people and tactical bias patterns.
Everyone loves a good story. Stories are fundamental to human communication; they contain the power to change the way we think, act, and feel. They are an amazing aid to message retention and inspire us to action. In this age of “infobesity,” storytelling is an essential skill to help us better reach and teach our audiences. Since most of us aren't born storytellers, this interactive session will teach you how to craft and deliver stories that inform, influence, and inspire. Get ready to maximize your impact with stories! This session will show you:
- The science behind why storytelling is such a powerful communication tool.
- How to craft interesting and memorable anecdotes to support your messages.
- How to deliver impactful and moving messages.
- How to build a repository of stories to use on-demand.
Every organization goes through crisis of some sort. It isn't a matter of if but more likely a question of when your organization will face some type of significant emotional event. Those organizations that are prepared for crisis are much more able to come through less scathed by the media and more appreciated by employees. This session will provide you with a communication template that can fit any type of organization and ready them for any type of crisis. This session will:
- Provide a communication plan that organizes actions and messages that need to be considered when an organization faces any significant emotional events.
- Offer creative communication strategies that calm and assure employees, the media and the public.
- Help you develop immediate response plans when significant events occur.
Effective communication is one-third talking and two-thirds listening. In this session you will learn to use the new science of reflective listening to understand what the speaker is really saying and respond in ways that stop conflict, build rapport, and strengthen relationships. Learn to use physiology, feedback loops, emotional validation, bounce-back questions, and other proven strategies to build safety, break down defensiveness, and encourage open and productive communication. By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Listen reflectively to understand the true meaning, context, motive, and reasoning behind any communication.
- Use emotional validation to encourage others to share their views and concerns and understand their feelings and emotions even if you don't agree with them.
- Welcome other points of view without becoming defensive even if past experience has been negative.
- Apply the four types of deeper dive questions to gather information and clarify ambiguity.
- Defuse conflict quickly by using the “neutral” listening physiology to let others know they are being heard.
Women are told to Lean In, DRiVE, and put on their bossypants to achieve success in the working world. Studies show that cultural perceptions associate men with leadership qualities and women with nurturing qualities putting women in a tough spot when it comes time to command a room and wow a crowd. This session will break down the critical components of professionalism and detail how you can create a positive impression, walk the line between too formal and too casual, and instill confidence in any audience. You will learn how to:
· Make an action plan to master the finer points of business etiquette to wow right from the start.
· Navigate routine business situations such as networking events, presentations, and meetings successfully.
· Enhance your professional image through dress, appearance, interactions, social media, and communications.
· Build an executive rapport and trust with both internal and external teams.
Are you ready to take your career to the next level? Show employers that you have the HR skills and knowledge needed to drive organizational success by earning your SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP – the only HR certification backed by SHRM’s nearly 70 years of service to the industry. In this session, you will learn how to choose which exam is right for you, best practices for studying and tips and tools to put you on the path to success. If you’re interested in SHRM certification, planning to apply or already have an appointment to test, this session is for you!
They say confidence is the most attractive thing a woman can wear. It is also what will take you to the next level both in both your professional as well as in your personal life. When you are fully comfortable in your own skin, you exude poise and power. You demand attention and respect. And you attract whatever it is you want into your life. Learn simple strategies and tangible techniques to ensure you are always putting your best foot, and your most successful strut, forward. This session will help you:
- Learn practical, tangible tools to boost your confidence and magnify your presence.
- Discover what it means to speak up for yourself – being authentically assertive versus haughtily aggressive.
- Uncover seven simple strategies that will ensure you stand out in any crowd.
- Find out what it means to show up consistently in the workplace as a ten.
- Understand why being YOU will always give the winning advantage.
Whether you're responding to a challenging problem or delivering bad news, staying decisive, empathetic and solutions-oriented is no easy feat. During this session, you will develop a solution to your own problem using our four-step Impromptu Format and willl witness volunteers receiving positive personalized coaching to transform their own style while remaining solutions-oriented. This session will empower you to project confidence and remain calm under pressure. You will learn how to:
- Implement an in-depth four-step process to help you organize your thoughts on the fly.
- Apply three tips to diffuse a tense situation.
- Use the six key physical skills to project confidence for high-profile communications
You’ve earned the only HR certification that comes with the recognition of SHRM’s nearly 70 years of service to the industry, don’t lose it! Join us for an informative session on maximizing the flexibility of SHRM’s recertification program to meet your career goals. Whether you’ve just earned your SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP, or you’ve had it for a couple of years, this session can help you create a recertification plan to achieve your professional development goals. You’ll also learn about the tools and resources SHRM offers to make maintaining your credential as efficient a process as possible.
Managers around the world are feeling the pressure of having too many plates to spin. Nine Minutes on Monday is a simple, easy-to-follow framework guaranteed to increase engagement and motivation among your staff. Thousands of managers around the world are seeing the results of using this simple blueprint. By following the Nine Minutes on Monday process, you will see an increase in employee engagement, a greater loyalty in your staff, and higher morale among your team. You will learn:
- A simple framework to keep leadership priorities in front of you.
- The nine employee needs which lead to higher employee engagement and productivity.
- Three simple questions to help create more purposeful workplaces.
- The three essential ingredients employees need to make their jobs more motivational.
- How to increase an employee's sense of autonomy at work.
In our extroverted business culture, it is easy for introverts to feel excluded, overlooked, or misunderstood. Did you know that introverts often make the best leaders? This session will draw upon stories and research to demonstrate how introverts succeed as leaders by building on their strengths, not by changing who they are. You will learn about the common challenges introverts face at work, such as people exhaustion and perception gaps, as well as a straightforward four-step process to master typical work situations such as coaching, managing up, public speaking and much more. This session will teach you to embrace your natural work style to advance your career, get the most out of the people around you, and add value to your organization. You will learn:
- The unique strengths of introverts.
- Five challenges of introverted leaders.
- The four P's process (Prepare, Presence, Push, and Practice).
- How to create an introvert-friendly work environment.
When most people think of office politics, they have a visceral negative reaction. But here's the thing: When you learn to navigate these unspoken rules of the workplace, you can achieve more than you ever dreamed! This is particularly important for you since you have to navigate many different types of people in creating a great place to work that cultivates talent and drives engagement. This session will teach you:
- The psychology behind how people at all levels make decisions at work, and
- How to use the dynamics of your organization to gain influence, advance your priorities, and use politics for good rather than for evil.
- How to build better working relationships with co-workers across your organization.
Since you play a critical role in every employee's experience, from the C-suite to summer interns, effective communication is critical to professional and company success. From delivering clear and concise information to providing constructive feedback effectively, to leading effective and efficient meetings and listening actively to other's views, to helping others consider new perspectives and openly discussing other points of view, your success depends on your ability to communicate. You will learn to master communication and influence behaviors to achieve desired reactions using the secret technique leaders and professional performers have used for centuries. This sesssion will show you:
- How to influence behavior and achieve desired outcomes by influencing emotion.
- The power of aligning your voice and body language to clearly communicate your messages.
- A universal, three-step process for influential communication to help improve how you provide feedback, lead efficient meetings and/or deliver critical information.
Most individuals function at a level far below what they are capable of. Many are actively unhappy and most do not feel true joy in their lives except on occasion. It is possible to greet each day with a sense of purpose; to commit intensely – and joyfully – to everything you do; to stop defining your life with “good” or “bad” labels; to create your own miracles no matter what life throws at you; to attract positive people, energy and actions into your universe. During this session, you will:
- Explore the notion of happiness in the workplace and learn why most people are mistaken about the causes of happiness.
- Learn how to create relationship quality of the highest standard.
- Learn how highly successful people explore their inner motives and discover their passions.
- Learn how to to attract positive people, energy and actions into your universe.
- Learn the mind shifts you can engineer to achieve this and exercises that show you how for yourself and your entire workforce.
In HR, there is the unique opportunity to be leaders without formal authority. Leading is not about titles and “symbols” of power, but rather it is about achieving results through others. However, working relationships can be complex, requiring you to be adaptable in your approach. This session will illustrate how you can positively influence others to achieve organizational success by leading upward and laterally through the power of persuasion. During this session, you will learn how to:
- Evaluate the significance of upward and horizontal leadership.
- Identify when and how to ask the right questions.
- Remove obstacles that hinder growth and the sharing of knowledge.
- Recognize behaviors that create a culture of continuous growth and development.
Have you ever heard someone say, “I will NEVER understand her!”, “That's not how I would have reacted”, or “We will just NEVER get along.” If so, you're not alone. HR reports spending 24 to 60% of their time dealing with employee disputes. The reality is that you spend more time with the people at work than you do with your own family, yet only 55% of people actually like their co-workers. You will learn the secrets to working with even the most difficult team members, and will share why the “golden rule” is wrong when it comes to workplace communications. This session will help you:
- Understand your unique communication style and how it plays out on their team.
- Rrecognize the distinct style of coworkers, managers, and direct reports.
- Learn to value and appreciate the different qualities that each individual brings to the team.
- Adapt to, welcome, and respect various personalities among team members to move toward a common goal.
- Learn to work successfully and efficiently as part of a solid and high-functioning team.
The concept of personal branding may seem like a catchphrase being thrown around by authors and self help gurus; however, the concept isn't new. You already have a personal brand whether you know it or not. Your personal brand is an important aspect of your career, and impacts everything from future career aspirations to your existing compensation opportunities. Once you understand what drives you, as well as the qualities and skill-sets that are unique to you, you can effectively manage your brand and communicate your best attributes to the constituencies that matter. This session will help you:
- Understand what is included in your personal brand, what isn't, and why it matters.
- Discover how personal branding relates to managing and growing your career.
- Create your own personal brand statement, and understand how to use it.
- Incorporate your “whole self” into your personal brand to create personal and professional opportunities.
- Develop an action plan for effectively communicating and promoting your personal brand.
Unfortunately, every business has its share of difficult people to deal with. Some may be customers, some may be co-workers -- but either case, dealing with them in a way that leads to success is a critical skill. This session will humorously reveal the six basic difficult personality styles that are out to drain you and your organization of vital energy. You will learn how to stay empowered in the face of negative, reactive, and draining people and laugh while they do it. “Bambi vs. Godzilla” will help you understand negative behavior, and to increase your skill level in dealing with difficult personality types. This session will help you:
- Uncover six basic difficult personalities while discovering what they do, why they do it, and what you can do about it.
- Learn how to not react to reactive people.
- Develop strategies for empowering your communication style and moving negative behavior toward positive results.
- Understand how to increase your behavioral repertoire when confronted with a difficult person.
- Explore how to create an energized culture and climate in your office.
Most professionals are faced with difficult interactions where your integrity can be compromised. Leading with your assertive voice allows you to be clear and concise across diverse audiences while maintaining a professional tone. You will learn how to balance your personal appeals and better understand how to structure a message that best suits your communication style. Step-by-step methods for dealing with intense conversations and correcting broken relationships will also be discussed. This session will help you:
- Learn how to communicate in your most effective assertive tone.
- Understand how to best frame/outline and deliver a message for an intended audience.
- Apply professional responses that are free from excuses and other disconfirming messages.
- Learn how to set healthy boundaries, deliver bad news, say no, foster accountability and manage another's expression of anger.
Consistent feedback to team members about their performance is an essential element necessary for creating a positive, productive, and profitable work environment. Conducting effective performance appraisals is the capstone of this management discipline. From preparation, to delivery, to follow-up, this approach will help you dramatically improve the value of annual reviews. The result? Employees will become more fully engaged because they will better understand how they're “measuring up” and what specific improvements are expected. This session will:
- Show you why several common practices in the evaluation process may be working against you.
- Help you learn to leverage performance appraisals by creating an open dialogue; allowing input from the person being evaluated and helping them realize their own strengths and weaknesses.
- Show you how to multiply the impact of evaluations and the input from the person being evaluated to create a growth strategy tailored to engage them and help them contribute more to the team's productivity.
- Help leaders with your day-to-day coaching of employees.