Recent research conducted by Cy Wakeman in conjunction with the Futures Company, has discovered that rather than driving performance and creating efficiencies for the organization, conventional HR strategies and philosophies are actually fueling drama in the workplace. In fact, this research indicated that under currently prescribed HR philosophy and strategic best practices, up to three months per year of each employee's time – potentially billions of dollars annually in the U.S. alone – is wasted in drama. This session will provide you with tools you can immediately implement to help your teams create good mental processes allowing them to redirect energy wasted on drama to instead produce amazing results. After all, our natural state when all the drama has been removed is innovation. This session will help you:
- Discover strategies for eradicating entitlement with great tools such as the Engaged Action Planning Tool, and the Negative Brainstorming Tool which changes the energy of entire group meetings from “Why we can't” to “How we could.”
- Develop highly effective mental processes in your teams that hold all team members accountable to quality, safety and excellent patient care.
- Uncover modern approaches to engagement and change management strategies.
- Learn from two specific case studies showcasing large wins in organizations that have re-organized HR and Learning and Development.
250,000 service members transition from the military every year, and while many companies recognize the value these veterans bring to the workforce they may struggle to implement a successful veteran employment program. Whether you are looking to hire one veteran or 1,000, you need to know how to source, attract, and hire the right candidate – with the right skills. More importantly, it’s essential that you implement an effective onboarding process while instilling a culture that fosters both engagement and retention. Imagine the time, money and reputation you can save your organization if you create a program that helps your veteran employees succeed while simultaneously supporting your business goals. During this session, you will learn:
- How to manage the hiring process from recruiting to resume, interview to onboarding. (Where to source, how to identify skill-sets, structuring the offer, and how to purposefully onboard your new hire)
- How to cultivate a military-friendly culture and work environment that leads to retention and productivity. (Breaking down stereo-types, dispelling myths, and creating an environment of diversity, inclusion and belonging).
Coaching is the most powerful tool for professional and personal growth and development. Effective coaching facilitates self-awareness that leads to meaningful and relevant change. Many organizations provide coaching to select talent through internal and/or external coaches, yet most, including HR professionals, do not benefit directly from this. You will learn and practice a simple, effective and practical model to guide yourself and others through successful change. After this session you will be able to:
- Describe the phases of the seven-step Work. Life. Leader. model for successful change as well as describe why each phase is critical to achieving successful change.
- Demonstrate two key coaching skills that support the model.
- Create a plan to implement a new behavior of your own for greater professional effectiveness and/or personal satisfaction, using an accountability strategy.
A generational shift is happening right now in the workforce, ushering HR into the post-Baby Boomer Era. Though this transition has been anticipated for decades, many aspects about it have been overlooked, such as how organizations prepare for mass retirements, develop an aging workforce in a fast-paced ever-changing VUCA environment, transfer knowledge to a new generation of workers, and develop necessary leadership skills to offer new and fresh opportunities. This session will cover how you can manage an aging workforce to ensure the generational shift happens smoothly. You will learn:
- How reverse mentoring can develop an aging workforce to the ever changing trends of technology and globalization and provide millennials with exposure to C-suite roles.
- How developing a talent marketplace culture can provide opportunities for Gen X'er and Millennial growth while waiting for boomers to retire.
- How to help employees within all generations build a well-lived, joyful career that will increase engagement and retention.
- What organizations are doing to address the challenges of retirement planning and preparation.
- Learn how phased retirement can be implemented to help individuals transition into retirement.
Does your careers site tell candidates more about your stock photo collection than your culture? Do you want to engage candidates on a regular basis, but have a budget that requires you to “get creative” before you can actually get creative? Discover how using employee stories gave Sodexo years of engaging content to share with candidates, and hear from the Stories Inc. team that helped them do it! This session will help you:
- Discover the scientific and emotional value of storytelling as a recruitment marketing medium.
- Explore how Sodexo wasted no part of the buffalo, repurposing and amplifying stories in various digital forms throughout the candidate experience.
- Learn how story-based content serves both static and time-sensitive purposes, and how Sodexo amplified these opportunities successfully through paid advertisements
- Understand the unexpected benefits discovered in a story-based project, and how these can become planned assets in your next recruitment marketing strategy.
In times of having to do more with less, it is critical to find other ways besides money to keep employees engaged. Sixty-five percent of American workers said they received NO appreciation all last year for the good work they had done, yet the second most important thing people want from their jobs is full appreciation. This session will provide:
- The 10 simple truths of appreciation.
- Dozens of creative ways, at little or no cost, to keep your employees happy and productive which you can immediately apply.
This session will present a discussion for those deciding on eliminating, augmenting, or keeping their current review process. Direct examples of the speaker’s personal journey slimming down the process at Success Academy and options for all practitioners facing this difficult challenge will be shared. This session will also include practical tools to evaluate your options to move forward. This session will cover:
- A decision on what is the best go forward approach to your performance management process.
- Uncoupling pay and performance in the performance review process.
- How to build the business case for change with the C-suite.
This session will reveal the way to face conflicting demands in an unforgiving business environment that keeps getting tougher. Through sidesplitting humor and reality-tested techniques, this session will show you how to reignite your passion and never lose your focus. As the lead agent in your organization who is responsible to develop, implement, recruit, hire, orient, retain and drive the talent, this is a must-see mega-session. To achieve true success and fulfillment as an HR professional, you must develop a cultural climate necessary to promote performance, commitment and loyalty. It's about getting people on the bus, helping them choose the right seat, and learning how to Enjoy The Ride! This session will show:
- How to incorporate your organization's mission and vision to enhance employee engagement and ignite their passion.
- The keys to creating a more revitalized work environment and connect people to the vision through accountability and ownership.
- The importance of creating a culture that promotes performance, commitment and loyalty.
You need to be able to spot deception when conducting investigations and interviewing and hiring applicants. While research shows that the average person is lied to twice a day, most people are extremely poor at spotting deception because they rely on inaccurate stereotypes about how people behave when they lie. In this engaging and interactive session from a former U.S. Department of Justice attorney, you will watch videos and examine case studies to learn how to spot signs of deception and truthfulness. You will learn scientifically-validated methods for spotting deception that you can apply in your everyday work life. This session will cover:
- Which signs of deception are valid and which are based on myth (such as the mistaken beliefs that liars don't look you in the eye and are fidgety).
- How to spot scientifically-validated signs of deception, including verbal and non-verbal cues.
- How to spot signs of deception and truthfulness when conducting investigative interviews.
- How to spot deception when interviewing and hiring applicants.
Boomers, Generation X, and Millennials now all share an office with a fresh crop of 20-something new hires. Is a harmonious workforce possible with this many players? Now is the best time to unlock how to work with this unique, young crowd. You will discover the key differences between the generations and the defining moments that rocked their world and shaped them at work. Importantly, you'll realize what you need to do to be an effective HR professional in a multigenerational workforce. This session will help you:
- Recognize the strengths and weaknesses of each generation.
- Learn dramatically new motivational techniques to drive performance.
- Create a work environment that is structured but empowering.
- Understand how to challenge 20-somethings to succeed on the job
Does remote work actually work? Recently we've seen high-profile companies recall remote workers back to the office. Yet telecommuting remains a sought after option for workers seeking flexibility, and for employers looking to attract those workers and save on operating costs. This session will share the strategies and tools used to create a world-class virtual team at Actionable that collaborates across eight time zones. This session will help you:
- Understand the challenges and opportunities that virtual work presents for organizations and HR through every phase of the employee lifecycle.
- Understand the current trends and research related to telecommuting/remote work and virtual teams.
- Identify the unique challenges of working in and supporting an effective virtual team.
This session will share insights gleaned from asking hundreds of corporate executives one question: “What do you wish your HR/TA team would do differently?” What was learned will forever change the way you look at these functions. This session will discuss how you can transform your own department and help you become the team every executive wish they would have. Don't come expecting to hear your typical HR deliverables. You will learn how to:
- Develop an executive level mindset around HR and talent acquisition execution.
- Learn HR and TA strategies that modern organizations are implementing.
- Build an understanding around what organizational executives desire from both the HR and TA functions.
- Help your hiring managers build immediate trust and rapport by developing interview questions around the candidate’s and your company’s critical requirements.
- Strengthen your hiring managers’ abilities to build better teams by matching candidates’ personalities to their department’s culture.
- Facilitate your hiring managers ability to master the critical but tricky pre-employment interview, building their self-confidence and ensuring greater transparency at every stage.
It is the job of HR to identify, develop, and support talent. To do this effectively requires a good understanding of why people do what they do, and how to bring out the best in individuals, teams and organizations. Neuroscience research is at a point now where it can help you do your jobs better by providing a deeper understanding of core brain processes like attention, memory, emotion, motivation and learning. With a more accurate understanding of how the human side of HR works, you can design better processes for selection, engagement, reward and recognition, training, decision making and collaboration. This session will help you:
- Predict, regulate, and explain unwanted behaviors and emotional reactions.
- Evaluate the potential effectiveness of existing models.
- Discover which factors actually drive behavior change, and which do not.
Sixty-four percent of Millennials, who represent the largest generation in the US workforce, say they plan to leave their employer in the near-term because their expectations contrast so greatly to their actual experience. Effective onboarding mitigates this costly attrition threat and prepares employees of all generations for success. This session will take a critical look at the transition from recruiting to onboarding and will provide strategies for increasing engagement during the first 90 days and boosting long-term retention and performance. You will learn:
- Five successful strategies for integrating new employees into your organization and maximizing their retention and engagement.
- How to gain the buy-in and support for onboarding from your executives and line managers.
- Key phases and activities new employees should experience during the first 90 days.
- What really belongs in your New Employee Orientation program.
- 10 pitfalls to avoid when onboarding new hires.
This unique theater-based session will cover such topics as diversity, sexual harassment awareness and other business issues. Three professional actors will perform several brief scenes depicting situations of discrimination and harassment. You will then be invited to suggest ways the various situations can best be handled, and alternative behaviors will be demonstrated and evaluated. Each scenario is followed by guided discussion to underscore the lessons learned and offer insight into alternative methods of employee training. This session will:
- Underscore the importance of diversity and harassment awareness training; it's the “right” thing to do (moral and ethical reasons) and it's the “smart” thing to do (legal and financial considerations).
- Explore alternative, “outside-the-box” training methods.
- Emphasize the importance of empathy in training.
Top organizations continue to identify a lean leadership bench as one of their most significant concerns. This has prompted research indicating that high-performance organizations are more likely to invest in experiential learning opportunities to accelerate employee readiness (Association for Talent Development, 2016). As a result, Cox Enterprises developed FORGE, an on-the-job experience that broadens the exposure of high-potential employees across businesses and functional areas and prepares them for future leadership. This session will share the program's journey from ideation to execution, discuss mitigation strategies for challenges common among rotational based programs, and provide insight on how the program accelerates “leader-ready” talent at Cox. You will learn how to:
- Broaden the the exposure and experiences of high-potential employees, while also closing skills gaps on your leadership bench.
- Increase internal career mobility across your organization.
Older generations grew up with long and ineffective one-on-one feedback sessions. Senior leaders told newcomers how it was, often to blank stares. Today is different: the best mentors specialize in brief and pointed conversations, focusing on one small item. In this session, we'll see how all generations can work together. This session will explore giving microfeedback to millennials, reverse feedback to Boomers and will describe group mentoring with the Xers, allowing us to grow together and succeed. This session will help you:
- Understand the differences between the generations.
- Explore the changing importance of mentoring in the modern organization.
- Learn what microfeedback is, and how to deliver it.
- Learn what reverse mentoring is, and how to deliver it.
- Learn how group mentoring works.
When discussing how to create an LGBT-inclusive workplace, too often the employees represented by the last letter of the acronym are overlooked. Recent developments have brought the unique challenges faced by transgender employees into the national spotlight and have demonstrated the need for deliberate effort to create an inclusive workplace. So far, 19 states have passed laws that prohibit discrimination based on gender identity and expression. In addition, federal law has recently been interpreted to ban gender identity discrimination as a form of prohibited sex discrimination. Employees who have transitioned, are actively transitioning, or are considering transitioning can face additional challenges in the workplace, from notifying their supervisors and coworkers to changing their appearance, name, and preferred pronouns. This session will help you:
- Understand gender identity, gender expression, and gender transitioning, and how they are distinct from sexual orientation.
- Learn how to implement gender transition guidelines and other policies that affect transgender employees, such as gender-neutral dress codes, equal access to restrooms, and confidentiality.
- Understand the provision of benefits, such as medical leave and healthcare coverage for transitioning employees.
- Identify best practices for creating a comfortable work environment for customer-facing transgender employees.
- Recognize the importance of creating an inclusive culture, including consistently using employees' preferred names and pronouns.
Acquiring top talent involves you to think like marketers. In this session, you will learn the foundations of marketing strategy in order to apply these skills to develop a strategically sound recruitment plan. Marketing planning fundamentals include defining your audience (WHO), your message (WHAT) and the vehicles through which you will communicate (HOW). These marketing principals are paramount when developing an airtight recruitment strategy to ensure top talent is acquired for your organization. This session will help you:
- Attract talent in a new way by understanding the core elements of a strategic marketing framework that delivers prospect centric messaging.
- Make a meaningful connection with prospects by identifying a target insight and understanding how to activate that motivation within a recruitment plan.
- Ensure your prospect outreach and materials motivate via development of fresh recruitment communications and tactics which are aligned with your target prospect needs.
The best teams, the best organizations, are those that are able to sustain high levels of performance year after year. To do that, it requires that you understand and implement three crucial keys: one, that cultivating organizational, team, and individual identity is often the biggest determinant in hiring, retention, and engagement success. Two, that low performance, decreasing morale, and poisonous cultures are usually created by and evident in areas often viewed as “inconsequential.”Three, that continued excellence requires an unwavering attack on complacency at every level. Not only will this session address all three keys in more detail, it will provide the tangible takeaways to begin making a significant difference immediately at work. At the conclusion of this session, you will:
- Understand why creating and solidifying organization, team and individual identity is the first foundation in hiring, retention, productivity, and engagement.
- Be able to recognize and identify the unspoken reasons for declining morale and culture.
- Understand how to create a more positive and productive environment.
- Learn how to drive a sustainable, engaged workforce and elevate productivity across your organization by pursuing activities and results that lie outside current comfort zones.
The session will provide key points of workplace violence prevention. You will be provided strategies and practical information on implementing a violence in the workplace program, policy and prevention plan. This will include tips on sensitivity training, selection tools, threat and risk assessment techniques, the importance of EAPs and suggestions on handling employee terminations. The presenter will also share her personal experience with workplace violence and the lessons she learned. After this session you will be able to:
- Know the warning signs regarding employees who could act violently in the workplace.
- Train your managers and employees to recognize warning signs and alert leaders.
- Conduct training on violence in the workplace.
- Develop and implement a workplace policy.
- Develop and implement hiring practices to reduce risk in hiring possible offenders.
- Conduct a workplace threat and risk assessment.
Building a culture where you can drive profitability through retention, recruitment and employee engagement is an important differentiator. As a repeat Best Place to Work award recipient, the presenter will dive into areas where investing in employees can be financially beneficial to you. For example, you'll hear case studies on “wooing talent” through employee referral programs, as well as tips on how you can start your own programs and the potential ROI. This session will also dive into other engagement factors, such as wellness and corporate social responsibility initiatives. By the end of the presentation, you will:
- Learn fun and cost-effective strategies for boosting employee engagement.
- Explore your role in becoming a best place to work.
- Discover what it takes to achieve maximum impact and drive organizational change.
- Determine the ROI behind an engaged corporate culture.
No two employees in your organization are alike, so how do you effectively manage your staff and drive up employee engagement while staying as productive as possible? What you do to fight back against job hopping, low employee engagement, and losing your most high potential employees to entrepreneurship? This session will outline the five phases of the employee life cycle and the four pillars of employee development. You will leave with a deeper understand of “what employees want” and how to give it to them in a way that is specifically meaningful to their unique stage in your organization. This session will help you:
- Understand the different employee development techniques needed to motive a new hire (novice adopter) vs a seasoned influential employee (courageous influencer).
- Grasp the key marketing concept of segmentation and how it applies to launching and tailoring successful employee development programs at organizations of all sizes and industries.
- Recognize the tell-tale signs of a poorly managed/poorly motivated employee and what a manager should do instead.
- Position themselves as a true business leader by recognizing the link between strategic business objectives and effective human resource utilization.
Fewer than half of today's employees believe that their companies deserve their loyalty. Unfortunately, leaders too often confuse profits with purpose and disregard the principles that drive people. This session will share the process for developing exceptional leaders and retaining great employees. No matter where you are at on the leadership ladder, this session will show that great cultures are intentional and they are cultivated by people who are engaging, transparent and maintain a style of communication that is frequent, authentic and deep. You will learn a fresh vision of the leader you can be, and identify the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to grow yourself and your people. This session will show you how to:
- Establish tangible, easily defined and monitored strategies to improve performance.
- Gain consensus and motivate people to work together efficiently and effectively as a team.
- Produce a great workplace through the development of great leaders.
Conventional wisdom says if you shuttle women into leadership development programs they will be engaged, take action and become formidable leaders – not so fast. The reality, women enter and exit leadership development programs with less strategic tools than their male counterparts. So, how are we failing to connect their goals with the intended outcome? What is the missing value equation that most organizations overlook? Empowerment and engagement are not enough to move the leadership needle forward. Organizations must understand how unconscious, self-limiting patterns of thinking erode leadership contribution. Radically upending how we develop women leaders demands that we move from empowerment and engagement to deeper introspection and action. You will learn how to:
- Deploy a deliberate approach to developing women leaders that evaluate blind spots, limiting beliefs, and spurs women into action.
- Evaluate what development tools should be abandoned to ensure you are developing women effectively.
- Apply the five tenets of action based leadership development which includes coaching woman to embrace their power.
- Introduce the Five P Leadership Model, for your high-potential, high-achieving future leaders and learn how to deploy the model to the bench of talent that operates behind them.
- Ask the critical questions every aspiring women leader must answer before entering your leadership development program.
Your organization likely says wonderful things about inclusion, but can anyone explain what it actually is? If inclusion is our product (and it should be our first product), we should know its characteristics. This session will equip you to guide your organization in designing an inclusive employee experience, actionable for, and specific to your organization. This is how we make it real. This session will help you:
- Understand the necessity of having great clarity regarding what it means to be fully included in their organization.
- Understand the foundational concepts relative to the experience of being included (psychological safety, trust, empathy, etc.).
- Understand a design process and participate in several short writing exercises toward clarifying what inclusion means.
- Learn how to take the process back to yourr organization and design an inclusive employee experience.
Employees want to work for a company with a culture that ROCKS! HR has the opportunity to create and own a culture where people can thrive and perform. This session offers a strategic approach on how to intentionally define, mold and champion all aspects of culture. You will receive proven tools that impact retention, attract talent and develop leadership. It will be unconventional, non-traditional and of course . . . it will ROCK! This session will show you how to:
- Define Culture – Too often culture is assumed and ambiguous. It is essential that you develop culture strategically to influence the activity of your organization at all levels.
- Align Staff – Having employees in roles that allow them to work from their strengths makes an organization efficient and gives Leadership the ability to set expectations and stretch goals.
- Use Generational Strengths – Contrary to the movements in the industry, generations in the workplace are a cultural strength of knowledge and performance.
- Allow Permission – Employees need to be given permission to perform and not just reviewed on how they're doing. Removing obstacles at all levels of management is key to outstanding performance.
- Own the Culture – you need to be strategic and incorporate culture as an on-going factor in your company’s strategic plan and keep the human factor present in all efforts.
Coaching used to be a last-ditch-effort to save poor performers. Nowadays, this critical tool helps team members flourish within every level of the company. Learn to create a coaching culture to advance the capabilities of high-potential performers and beyond. Leverage internal coaches by developing coaching skills in managers and subject matter experts. Transform your organization into a coaching culture while enhancing employees' overall effectiveness, communication skills and business acumen under the guidance of internal coaches. This session will:
- Define coaching and the impact it will have on your organization.
- Demonstrate practical steps to build a coaching culture.
- Illustrate how to create conditions within your organization for coaching to thrive.
As we become more technologically advanced, busier, and more stressed than ever before, we often don't even see the opportunities around us every day to be kind. Our workplaces, our cities, and our homes are in desperate need of more simple kindness and caring. Come and learn an acronym to awaken you to those chances to make a small difference in someone's day:
K = Kinesthetic
I = Imaginative
N = Neighborly
D = Deliberate
From the CEO to the frontline worker, you will leave with many inspirational, concrete and simple ways to change your culture and your lives to ones of kindness and caring. Not only will it impact your bottom line, but it will also add more purpose and joy to each day of your life and the lives of others with whom you interact.
It is increasingly recognized that your company’s most important asset isn’t your product, technology, or the service you provide. It’s your people. It’s no secret that in this open talent market, finding and landing the right people for your organization is increasingly challenging. More information is readily available on careers, companies, and candidates with more options, and on the flip side: there is more competition and more noise. But with challenge comes opportunity. By leveraging data through talent intelligence, you’ll be able to identify, hire, and engage the best, most diverse candidates and build your workforce of the future. This session will:
- Define what talent intelligence is and why it matters.
- Discuss what you need to know to apply talent intelligence to HR and talent acquisition at your organization.
- Describe the future of talent intelligence and artificial intelligence and the potential impact on HR and talent acquisition.
Research published in Harvard Business Review found that 95% of employees are unaware of or do not understand their company's strategy. Our own research has found that the vast majority of employees, 90%, don't understand important business metrics. The results are workforces that are unaligned and disengaged. Here's the good news, as an HR leader, you're in a unique position to step up and solve this problem. In this session, you'll be introduced to the idea that the best places to work are in a virtuous cycle, and you'll be given practical steps for accelerating this cycle at your company. This session will help you:
- Know what your CEO and CFO wish you'd talk more about.
- Identify the top two levers of employee engagement.
- Commit to three steps to link your people and profit strategies.
Repeated Wednesday at 11:30 a.m.
You are expected to be skillful interviewers, but let's face it...in today's environment interview-savvy job candidates have learned how to ace interviews and make themselves sound like Super Stars...even when they're not. It's the interviewer's responsibility to gather quality candidate information to make a sound hiring decision despite this environment. This session will teach powerful interviewer techniques that give interviewers, of any skill level, the upper hand. During this session, you will:
- Explore more effective methods for gathering critical information from job candidates.
- Learn interviewer techniques that get candidates to open up and and talk more freely with you.
- Analyze traditional interview questions to determine if they're actually helping or hurting your hiring process.
- Discover creative ways to expose a candidates “real” weaknesses rather than accept prepared, canned answers.
- Learn about an interviewing process that goes beyond standard skill-assessment to identify candidates who will best help your organization achieve your goals.
In order to be successful in today's business environment, you need not only survey your staff for feedback but you must respond and create action plans that address employee issues to improve engagement. All the data suggests that a more engaged workforce creates better employee relations, reduced turnover, greater customer satisfaction, and higher quality metrics. Too many organizations conduct the survey and analyze the data but never create and implement lasting action plans. This session will give you a clear, cogent, and practical guide to action planning and implementation. This session will provide you with:
- An analysis of the common trends in employee survey data and identify the top areas of interest to employees.
- Strategies for implementing action planning processes that address those top concerns identified from whatever survey instrument your organization uses.
- Ideas on getting leadership commitment to the action planning process and create accountability for follow-through.
Learn how three companies in manufacturing , call centers, and health care cut turnover by greater than 40% within one year, all by using the same, business-driven approach. No longer do engagement surveys, exit surveys, or salary surveys drive actions. Instead leaders on all levels are accountable for their talent, and are given tools to succeed. Take home a retention solution that works! You will learn:
- The strongest method to motivate your CEO to drive engagement and retention.
- How each organization built their retention improvement around retention goals.
- That accountability drives retention solutions.
When we are truly engaged at work, we operate on another level of commitment, emotionally invested in our organization and fulfilled by what we accomplish. Research on engagement routinely focuses on its correlation with high performance and business results. But in terms of understanding how to truly lift and sustain engagement across an organization, we also need to be mindful of the neuro and biological drivers of engagement. During this session, you will:
- Gain fresh insights into managing workplace interactions.
- Learn how to frame learning experience so you minimize threat, maximize reward, and measurably drive engagement.
We're collecting a lot of workforce data these days, but we're not doing much with it. This session will show you how to connect the dots within your culture analytics in ways that allow you to solve real problems inside your organization. Stop asking for your “seat at the table,” and start using your deep culture knowledge to drive results. That'll get their attention. This session will provide you with:
- An understanding of the kind of culture data you need in order for it to be actionable.
- A framework for developing concrete interventions inside an organization based specifically on culture data.
- Practical tips for prioritizing change efforts and interventions to ensure they are successful.
The technology skills gap is a well-known issue in American employment circles. And yet, research tends to focus on only one aspect of the problem – the shortage of hard tech skills. But there is another, perhaps even more critical dimension to the technology skills gap: the lack of applied tech skills in the workplace. For our 2017 Technology Skills Gap research, the Career Advisory Board asked hiring managers, HR professionals, and C-suite executives to reflect on the importance of applied tech skills as well as the challenges they face in recruiting and retaining tech-savvy talent. In addition to exploring the researching findings, this session will provide concrete guidance on how to recruit and develop employees with the right set of applied tech skills and how to foster a workplace environment in which applied tech skills can flourish. This session will help you:
- Understand how applied technology skills differ from hard technology skills, and why the former have become essential for every type of employee in the mid-21st century workforce.
- Learn techniques for identifying and interviewing for essential applied technology skills in applicants at all levels.
- Devise strategies for developing and updating applied technology skills in your current workforce, including formal and informal training, mentorship, and intrapreneurship.
It is no secret that diversity is essential to success and that talent acquisition plays a critical part. Unfortunately, many struggle to consistently attract and engage quality candidates from diverse groups. This session will help with this endeavor through tangible and easy-to-implement strategies to enhance your recruitment practices. This session will:
- Provide several tangible recruiting diversity tools, identify and reduce the barriers embedded in one's sourcing and screening processes to increase the number of quality diverse candidates in the applicant pool.
- Describe the unique needs of different groups during the recruitment process in order to engage and excite potential hires by assessing your talent market,.
- Help you build an easy-to-implement recruitment action plan that respects the needs of diverse groups and protects your employment brand.
Organizations continue to promote technically proficient employees into management roles. So how do we get these newly promoted leaders up to speed? For many organizations, these new leaders learn by skinning their knees and making mistakes along the way -- often costing the organization in lower productivity and turnover. Progressive-thinking organizations recognize managing people has a unique skill set and the key to retention and productivity is good front line managers. A holistic management development program will give these new managers the foundation they need to succeed. No money in your budget for training? Don't fret! You can develop a meaningful management development program in-house using your own leaders as your training team. That's exactly what we did at a global pharmaceutical company. This session will show you how to:
- Select resources and build the curriculum.
- Create excitement and “good buzz”around the program.
- Ensure active participation and commitment through a program that participants enjoy.
Are you seeing higher voluntary turnover? Are you struggling with retention? Learn what successful companies do via practical best practices and case studies. This session will guide you through an employee engagement roadmap that will help you build a more engaged workforce while following 10 practical steps. Focus areas will include: why you need to think like marketers; connect your hiring to your brand; why your performance appraisal system has become the fax machine; why money is now important to Gen Y and especially Gen X; why empathy is the new black; reward and recognition systems that WORK. This session will help you:
- Create the business case that employee engagement is a business driver.
- Connect one's hiring to your marketing efforts.
- Create a culture of transparency, communication, accountability, and measurement.
- Learn new approaches to performance management.
- Leverage EMPATHY as a leadership driver.
Finding the right talent continues to be a major challenge today. Once the candidate has signed, don't lose them before their first day on the job! Learn how you can use technologies and techniques typically associated with onboarding to get your candidates prepared and feeling good about the decision to join your company – by creating lasting connections that help them become passionate, productive team players – from day zero. This session will help you:
- Discover why companies are transforming the traditional approach to talent acquisition with a new emphasis on pre-boarding.
- Learn how to customize tactics to increase employee engagement before your new hire's first day on the job.
- Gain insight into how your organization can use technology traditionally associated with onboarding to get candidates excited about their new position and prepared for their first day.
- Brainstorm how to prepare recruiters and hiring managers to incorporate pre-boarding into the employee experience, supporting optimal management of all an employee's life stages.
Purpose is defined as the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists. In this session, we'll examine the definition of purpose and the power it has to shape your life, career and company. You'll discover a unique process to differentiate your organization and build a brand that attracts and engages the right talent. Come for stories that will inspire you and leave with ideas that will make an impact. During this session you will:
- Learn to uncover purpose in your life and your organization.
- Discover unique ways you and your company can make a positive impact in the world.
- See how the power of purpose can differentiate your company and attract the right talent.
A cornerstone component of any talent management strategy is succession planning. Succession planning is a necessary and fundamental planning process to ensure the viability of your business. More than 75% of all companies still don´t have a formal succession planning strategy. Why? Because developing, implementing, funding and managing succession planning can be challenging and cumbersome. The good news is that it doesn´t have to be! You are most often deemed the business group responsible for driving the understanding of the performance potential of existing employees and mitigating talent risks in the workforce. Learn how easy succession planning can be! This session will:
- Discuss the key factors to consider in building a succession plan that is scalable, sustainable, and most importantly engaging so you know your talent better than you ever have before.
- Shatter the barriers and assumptions about succession planning and learn how to overcome them with practical tool and tactics.
- Provide actionable next steps no matter where you are in the planning process.