Although efforts have been made in recent years to advance equality for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Queer, and other gender and sexual minorities, there are still many instances where LGBTQ+ people find themselves excluded, unwelcome, and uncomfortable in the workplace. According to the Human Rights Campaign, an average of 50% of employees report hiding their sexual orientation at work due to hostility, prejudice, discrimination and mistreatment in the workplace. During this interactive session attendees will:
- Become more familiar with the most current LGBTQ+ inclusive terminology;
- Understand the differences among these and other terms: sex assigned at birth, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression;
- Discuss workplace issues including equal employment laws, policy recommendations, bathroom inclusion requirements, as well as data collection and reporting best practices;
- Discuss specific human resources scenarios that involved LGBTQ+ workers; and
- Walk away with concrete strategies to create more welcoming and inclusive workplaces for LGBTQ+ employees.